Posted by on 20 September 2013 | Comments
||George Niccol, ship owner & ship builder, St Mary's Bay, Auckland, New Zealand. Ironwork by the Senior Foundry. Machinery installed by H.M. Warner, Quay Foundry, Auckland|
|OWNER||Devonport Steam Ferry Company Limited|
|LAUNCHED||28th April 1925|
|DECOMMISSIONED||8th August 1980|
|130.75 ft 31.4 ft
|ARRANGEMENT||Two-decked, double-ended ferry – propeller, rudder & wheelhouse at each end|
|CONSTRUCTION||Composite: 3-inch (76mm) kauri (Agathis australis) timber planking bolted to steel bulb-angle framing, with steel bulkheads and main-deck beams.
|ENGINE||Triple-expansion steam engine, by Aitcheson, Blair Ltd, Clydebank, Scotland.
Stroke 21 in (533 mm), bore 12,20 & 32 in (305, 508 & 813 mm).
Nominal h.p. 51; brake h.p. 350
|BOILER||Coal-fired 'Scotch' marine type, by A. & W. Dalglish, West of Scotland Boilermakers, Pollockshaws, Glasgow. Rivetted construction. Operating Pressure 180 psi|
|PROPELLERS||Bronze, four-bladed, with adjustable pitch. One at each end, directly coupled to the engine.|
|SPEED||11.25 knots at trials|
|COMPLEMENT||Crew: 4 skipper, deck-hand, engineer, stoker
Passengers: 1221 river limits, 682 extended river limits