Posted by Website Admin on 20 September 2013 | Comments
Tags: Toroa, Emu, Condor, Makora, Takapuna, The Peregrine, Korea, Earnslaw, William C Daldy, Albatross, Kestrel, Pupuke, Ngoiro, Takapuna, The Goshawk, The Sparrowhawk, The Mollyhawk, Eaglehawk, Frances Peat, Alex Wilson, George Peat, Ewen W. Alison, Mangana
The paddle steamer Emu was the first steam ferry on the Waitemata, running from the Auckland wharves to Flagstaff (later Devonport) on the North Shore in 1860. The Emu unfortunately was wrecked on rocks off Motutapu Island after only a few months service. A number of companies built and operated ferries but the major growth in services began in 1881 with the formation of the Devonport Steam Ferry Co. These early steam ferries were paddle steamers and served the growing need to transport people and goods across the Waitemata Harbour.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 4-2935These larger and more efficient steam ferries served the needs of commuters through the first and second war years until 1959, when, with the opening of the Auckland Harbour bridge, the ferry service contracts were cancelled. Vehicular ferries, the first four wooden hulled and steam-powered, also operated across the Waitemata harbour until the service ceased in 1959.
Toroa alone of all the double-enders has survived with steam machinery intact, and happily, in restorable condition. When restored and operating again she will join the few remaining steam vessels in New Zealand to carry passengers – the Earnslaw on Lake Wakatipu, the tug Lyttelton at Lyttelton and the tug William C Daldy on the Auckland Harbour -- and will provide the experience and romance of steam travel to new generations of Aucklanders and visitors.
|Condor||1902||Bow McClachan; assembled G.T. Niccol||116.1||NA||Built as single-deck vehicle/passenger ferry Converted to passenger ferry 1906 Broken up 1936|
|The Goshawk||1909||G.T. Niccol||124||35||Ceased running and scrapped 1959|
|The Sparrowhawk||1911||G.T. Niccol||105||20||Ceased running and scrapped 1959|
|Mollyhawk||1923||G.T. Niccol||108.75||36||Ceased running and scrapped 1959|
|Eaglehawk||1926||G.T. Niccol||120.6||36||Ceased running and scrapped 1959|
|Korea||1937||P. Vos||118||33||The last double-ended ferry built at Auckland, diesel powered
Ceased running 1959
Scrapped 1981; buried in Westhaven reclamation
|1930||Poole & Steele||138||48||Built Sydney, Australia. Operated Auckland 1946 to 1959
Sold to Tasmanian Government 1959; sank in Tasman Sea en route 1960
|Ewen W. Alison
|1930||Poole & Steele||138||48||Built Sydney, Australia. Operated Auckland 1946 to 1959. Sold to Tasmanian Government 1959; renamed Mangana and still operating at Hobart|