SS TOROA - 1998 to 1999

Posted by on 20 September 2013 | Comments

1998 October    
The ferro-cement pontoons complete and assembled, ready to lift Toroa for restoration of the hull.

dry dock takes shape news article sml
North Shore Times Advertiser, October 29, 1998

1998 1 June       

Toroa sinks alongside Birkenhead Wharf during a severe storm with high winds from the southwest.

Toroa sunk at berthPhoto: Toroa Collection

1998 21 June       

Unsuccessful first effort to raise the Toroa with the floating crane Hikinui -- as a result of insufficient lifting capacity and gear failure and local conditions .

raising the toroa sml
Photo: Toroa Collection

1998 29 June       
Second attempt successful. After 30 hours of continuous work Toroa once again afloat alongside Birkenhead Wharf. Air bags, inside the hull and the removal of the upper cabins make the difference.

1998 7 July          
Toroa towed to Orams Marine slipway in Beaumont Street for water blasting, some patching of the hull and minor maintenance work.

1998 August        
Toroa re-floated and taken to HMNZ Navy Dock Yard wharf for further work.

1998 24 December
Toroa moved to a new berth at Stanley Bay wharf.

 Toroa returns to devonport berth finally news article sml
The Devonport Flagstaff, 20/21 February 1999


A substantial and prolonged but ultimately unsuccessful effort by the Toroa Preservation Society to find a place for Toroa to be lifted from the water by the purpose-built pontoons for restoration work within the Waitemata Harbour.

Public opinion moved against mooring the Toroa on her “floating drydock" anywhere in the harbour environs.  After many locations had been investigated without official approval being forthcoming, the Society determined to find a haul-out site on dry land. Another lengthy systematic search located a site in Selwood Road, Henderson, up the road from a boat ramp on Henderson Creek. The owners, Radio New Zealand, agreed to allow Toroa to be hauled out onto their property for restoration work on the vessel.